Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Week Four

It just gets better...
I had always heard people say that they felt an instant connection with their child as soon as they were born.  Well, I'm not sure that I can really say that I felt the instant connection when Maddie was born (maybe it was the lack of sleep!).  It was an amazing experience and I know that I loved this little girl from the time I saw her, but I feel like I love her more as time goes by.  Things just keep getting better as time goes on.
  • Had a visit from Michelle and Emma from the neighborhood.  Emma is 3 years old and was very sweet sitting next to little Maddie.
  • Spent a lot of time working!  Maddie was pretty consistent at taking a good 2.5 hour nap in the mornings, so mom spent that time getting caught up at work.  I may be technically on maternity leave, but I don't feel like I ever really left.  I'm working to find some balance and not spend quite as much time logged in at work, but I also don't want to go back to a mess!
  • Went to the breastfeeding TEA that is put on by the hospital.  My friend Katie says that this group saved her when she had her little girl, Claire, and that I had to go.  Teachers were off on Friday, so Katie came over and we all went to the TEA together.  It was nice to have someone to go with for the first time.  At the TEA you can ask questions to professionals there and talk with other moms who have babies from 0-8 weeks old.  You also have the chance to weigh your baby before and after they eat, so you can get an idea of how much they are eating.  My favorite part though is the tea and the brownies that they serve! Madelyn weighed in at 8lbs 10oz. at the TEA (Jan. 20th), which means she gained 1lb 4oz in 10 days....crazy!  They say babies gain about 1/2 an ounce a day...Maddie is packing it on!  She wasn't very social this day and decided to sleep through the entire class, so I never actually got to see how much she was eating.  Hopefully she'll feel like participating at next week's class.
  • Visited with Lindsay on Saturday morning. 
  • Spent Saturday afternoon with daddy while mom went shopping!  Since Maddie takes a bottle, mom has a lot more freedom.  It was a wonderful few hours getting to do some fun shopping.  Thanks, daddy!
  • Discovered that Maddie likes her NUK pacifier.  We were trying to get her to take another kind and she was never very interested in it, so we decided to try the ones that Granny got her.  She loved it!  This calms her right down when she has already been fed and changed, but is still a little fussy.  It has also helped her go right down to sleep and not fight her swaddle.  We make sure not to go to far from the magic pacifier!  Thank you, Granny!!
  • Took Maddie for a ride in the car on Sunday night and heading for the Bruester's drive through.  Mom and dad got some yummy ice cream. 
  • Maddie usually fusses when she gets into the car seat, but as soon as we start moving (car or stroller) she is OUT!  This little girl is a great car traveler so far.
Week 4 would not be complete without something crazy!  Maddie didn't let us down...she did it up on her 4 week birthday!  Maddie slept 6 hours on the night before her 4 week birthday!  This was exciting news except for the fact that Shawn and I woke up an hour before her because the smoke detector battery decided to die and every 10 seconds was beeping ridiculously loud...this didn't seem to bother Maddie.  After Shawn took the batteries out, Maddie woke up to eat.  It was 5am, so we decided to just go ahead and get up for the day.  10 minutes later, she was still fussy, so I picked her up and burped her.  OMG...no joke, she had projectile spit up for 5 feet!!  We cleaned up the entire room, I changed clothes (again), and then put her down.  30 minutes later...more spit up.  I think this little girl ate her weight in milk after her 6 hour sleep!

Dreaming among the stars...

Apple Picking

In a bed of flowers





Maddie was not as excited about ice cream as mom and dad were!

This summed up our day on Maddie's 4 week birthday (see the story of the spit up)

Maddie:  "Maybe ice cream isn't so bad!"

Our first try with the new pacifier

Daddy feeding Maddie while mom went shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment